Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Taco Bowls

Naddy loves tacos and so do I.  It requires minimal cooking but delivers maximum mmmms.  He'd order a taco whenever it's in the menu and would always ask me to make some.  I wanted to take our taco night one level up by making taco bowls instead of settling for the store-bought corn tacos.   I thought it's going to be prettier and more filling. Was I right!  I prepared the minced beef, salsa and shredded the iceberg lettuce ahead and just prepared the taco bowls come dinnertime.   I still had enough time to freshen up and read a book.


Minced Beef:  Saute lots of diced onions and garlic until fragrant.  Add in the beef and cook until no longer pink.  Pour the taco seasoning and let it simmer uncovered until it is reduced to your desired consistency.


Salsa: Mix diced tomatoes and onions (ratio of 3:1) in a bowl, add some chopped cilantro, juice of half a lime, a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.  Stir a bit then transfer to a jar then shake it.  Refrigerate until ready to be used.


Taco Bowls:  You will need tortillas, a bowl of water, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sea salt.  Combine water and oil, dip each tortilla then drain excess water.  Sprinkle salt over tortilla and shape over an inverted ramekin.  Bake in a preheated oven (425˚ F) for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Let it cool a bit until it can hold its shape.  Put it back in the oven right-side up to brown the insides of the bowl.


Pile shredded lettuce, beef, salsa, sour cream and cheese.  Ta-da!


Next time, I'm going to make my own taco seasoning.  My spice collection is growing and I have all the spices needed to make them.   I might also get some brioche molds as they might make shaping the taco bowls easier.   There you go, another easy meal.  

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails