Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Eggs Benedict

What makes for a perfect Sunday?  We start by wasting ourselves the previous night with some movie, chips and rootbeer.  Sleeping just as the sun is waking.  And waking just as the traditional household is preparing for lunch.  That is the perfect Silvannas Sunday.  And what makes for a perfect Tetetmum Sunday?  Preparing a hearty brunch!  It has to be special since it's not everyday that Naddydaddy and I get to eat breakfast together.  I had it all planned days ahead.  Yes, that's typical of me.  You can say that food is always on my mind, and I won't mind because it's true.  So eggs benedict it is.  
Gotta have them no matter how late we woke up.  I'm not even sure I can poach an egg again.  This is just my second time to poach eggs.  The first time I made them was months ago and to say that I had a stressful time is an understatement.   This time was no different.   I tried Pioneer Woman's method of swirling water before dropping the egg but it just didn't work for me.  Maybe I was too impatient to wait for it to come together.  In the end, I used a silicon egg poacher.  The egg looked steamed to me.  So for the second egg, I tried to submerge it in water, and I thought it looked better.   

This was the eggs benedict I made a few months back.  I must say that the poached egg looked better than my current version.  I used a slice of baguette instead  of english muffins and the hollandaise sauce was a tad too sour for Naddy.

The hollandaise sauce was easy.  You just need:
2/3 sticks of butter - divided into 3 portions
2 egg yolks
Half a lemon (but I just used half of it.  Naddydaddy doesn't like the sourness)
Cayenne Pepper to taste
*recipe adapted from Pinoycook

Melt first portion of butter in a double broiler, or in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Add the egg yolks and start whisking like crazy.  Don't worry about working your muscles too much because it won't take long to cook. Add the second portion of butter until melted then the third, whisking as you do.  Add lemon juice and whisk until smooth.  Don't heat it too long or you'll end up with scrambled eggs.

Grill the lightly buttered english muffins and ham (I used Virginia Ham) then assemble.

Mufiins, ham, egg, sauce and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on top.  It's wickedly good.   Sundays can't get any better.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails