Sunday, November 7, 2010

Grilled Shrimps


I have mentioned before that breakfast is the most important meal for us during weekends.  I always try to make a big deal out of it since we only have breakfast together during weekends.  This is why our weekend meal schedule is always messed up.  Breakfast at 11am, lunch at 4pm and dinner, well, sometimes we just have dessert.  I'm talking about Naddy and myself here, Nanawu and my helper always eat on schedule.  Another thing about me is that I usually have a meal planned ahead, talk about your food mind being faster than your cooking hands.  This Sunday's an exception though.  We just had one fat Mrs. Field's muffin each for breakfast, uhmm, at 11am.  Lunch is far from my mind.  I don't know, maybe it's the weekend-no-lunch-at-noon-mind working here.   Feeling at a loss, I asked Naddy what he wanted.  Of course he said he wanted porkchops.  What was I thinking even asking him?  That's his standard reply.  But my mind screamed shrimp.  So loud that he heard.  I was sure I didn't say anything but he heard.  He said I could have shrimp and he'll have pork.  Ugh, why does he have to be a such a shrimp-hater?   It's Sunday and I just don't want couldn't make two different dishes.  So in my sweetest voice, I told him that what if I promise him a lovely lunch, can he in turn please promise to be nice and open to anything?   He had to say yes to that sweet face!  LOL.  Round 1 of  Tetetmum vs Naddydaddy, Tetetmum wins!  So let's do this thing!


1.  Butterfly the shrimps.  Slice from the back of the shrimps almost all the way through and flatten.   I found out that the easiest way to do this is to cut the shell first with kitchen shears and cut through the meat with a knife.  Discard the black thread/vein, which is actually the shrimp's intestines.  
2.  Lightly season the shrimps with salt.  
3. Brush the grilling pan with a little butter and grill the shrimps on low heat, cut side down, until it changes color slightly. Turn it over a few seconds and remove from pan.   Set cooked shrimps aside.  Important: do not overcook.  This is the worst thing you can do to shrimps.
4.  In a separate pan,  melt butter in low heat then add thinly-sliced garlic.  When you see garlic starting to brown, add some salt, pepper, basil and lime juice and stir.  Throw in some scallions at the last minute.  
5.  Scoop them out, leaving the flavored butter in the pan still on low heat.  
6.  Dip the shrimps in the flavored butter, one at a time.  Spoon some of the garlic et.al. on top of the shrimps, add some fresh scallions and coriander.

Guess what? The shrimp-hater loved it.  He wasn't scratching his nose while eating it (allergies).  Could it be because he's not secretly hating it or because I removed the veins?  Naddy had a bowl of Nanawu's pork ribs and veggies soup and four pieces of shrimps.  Round 2, Tetetmum wins!  You might criticize this as  lazy grilled shrimps but I would say it was a success.  We loved it and can't wait to have it again.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pinsan. Wow! I think I need to go back to Hongkong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We're already waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails