Monday, November 22, 2010

Steamed Spareribs



I used to love steamed spareribs so much during my college days, yeah long time ago- you don't have to remind me, that I'm at this Chinese fastfood at least once a week.  I order it along with har-gow or steamed shrimp dumpling.  Mix chili sauce, soy sauce and calamansi and the stress of college and review is soon forgotten.  I don't know how steamed spareribs and I drifted apart but it still holds a special place in my heart.  Now that we live in dimsum country, they're everywhere!  I have yet to try the spareribs here, well I just might do it sometime soon.  Uhm, like tomorrow?  It depends.  If I wake up tomorrow still hankering for it, I just might.  Even if I just had my homemade spareribs today.  I've had no problems with har-gow-- it's the first dimsum I've had here and to say that I loved it-loved it-loved-it is an understatement.  But spareribs is a different story.  Maybe because I liked it so much before that I hesitate to try another version for fear of tainting its memory.  Such dramatics!  Honestly, I really don't understand why I put so much emotion in food- eating, preparing and remembering it.  I've never tried to analyze it since I enjoy the ride most of the time.

Naddy's plate

The smell beckoned
the little one
Naddy's learned to like it too.   Good for me since I can cook this more often.   Today when I made it, I presented it in two ways.  As rice topping and as a separate viand. Rice topping for me because I felt like reminiscing.  Separate viand for Naddy because I wanted to see which way is better.   Let me just say that if I got Naddy's plate, I would have poured it all over my rice, licked the small plate clean and attack my rice toppings.  Naddy didn't complain though.  But he never complains!   I want him to complain, criticize and of course compliment the food I serve him.  Maybe in another five years?  I think it's going to be different with Nanawu.  When I served the food, he rushed to the table and announced that he's hungry.  Sat on a chair and pulled the plate towards him.   He started smelling, touching and tasting.  He didn't really eat because he just finished his own meal.   But I'm happy that he's interested in food again and has opinions about them, truly a mama's boy. 

The recipe: 

2 tablespoons Black Bean Garlic Sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine 
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 clove of grated garlic
equal amount of grated ginger

Mix everything and add 1 lb of pork.  I like using pork belly-  skinless and not too much fat.  Steam for about 20 minutes or until tender.  Pair it with steamed leafy vegetable.  

Easy to prepare, this dish will be in my food rotation from now on.  Naddy liked it, I think Nanawu can have this from time to time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails