Saturday, August 28, 2010

Churros Con Chocolate

I was so happy that I finally got to make my own churros.   This has been a favorite of Naddydaddy and mine and we never fail to order these however full we were back then when we were still dating in Manila.  Dulcinea makes one of the best in Manila.  Well, I really can't say if the taste is as good the ones they make in Spain because I've never been there but I do know that Dulcinea's is really good.  If I remember correctly, they're served plain and dunked in a really rich chocolate sauce that you can drink guiltily after you've finished the churros.  And guess what? I made them today! Naddydaddy said he demands to have a weekly breakfast of churros con chocolate.  I must say that I am pleased with the compliment.  I got the recipe from Food Network and I encourage you to try this one out.  It's easy peasy!







Churros:

1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting

Chocolate for dunking:

1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups milk
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup sugar

Directions

To make the churro dough: Combine 1 cup of water with the butter or margarine and the salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour. Reduce the heat to low and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove the dough from the heat and, while stirring constantly, gradually beat the eggs into the dough.
To make the chocolate for dunking: In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 1 cup of milk and reserve. Combine the chocolate with the remaining cup of milk in a saucepan. Stirring constantly, melt the chocolate over medium-low heat. Whisk the sugar and the dissolved cornstarch into the melted chocolate mixture. Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until the chocolate is thickened, about 5 minutes. (Add extra cornstarch if it doesn't start to thicken after 5 minutes.) Remove the pan from the heat and whisk until smooth then reserve in a warm place.
Heat about 2 inches of oil in a heavy, high-sided pot over medium-high heat until the oil reaches 360 degrees F. Mix the sugar with the cinnamon on a plate and reserve.
Meanwhile, spoon the churro dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large tip. Squeeze a 4- inch strip of dough into the hot oil. Repeat, frying 3 or 4 strips at a time. Fry the churros, turning them once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked churros to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.  Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
Pour the chocolate into individual bowls or cups. Serve the warm churros with the chocolate dip.



Churros in the comfort of your own home!

But still, wouldn't it be nice to be in Spain devouring these wonderful critters and saying "...ahh, as good as my churros".  

2 comments:

  1. Just reading through the recipe makes my mouth water! You mentioned Dulcinea... I ALWAYS ordered Churros whenever I went there. I haven't been to Manila in years... *sigh* And yes, the churros in Dulcinea comes very close to the churros in Spain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like everyone loves Dulcinea's churros! And wow, you've tried authentic churros in spain! I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails