Friday, August 20, 2010

Silvannas Oatmeal Cookies





I've never liked oatmeal cookies but when I started baking, about less than a year ago, I figured I "needed" to make one as a "rite of passage".  Don't ask me why because I don't even know  why I ever thought of that.  And besides, when I started baking my own sweets, I realized how  much butter and sugar go into those yummy cookies, cakes and whathaveyous. So I told myself, oats would compensate for it.  Don't ask if it's true because I'm sure it was just my other self rationalizing.   So I tried it and I promise you, this has got to be one of the  best cookies I've ever baked and one that I can make again and again without having to try any other variety.  It's crispy and crumbly but still soft and chewy.  It's sweet and salty, kinda  like eating popcorn.  So here it is, presenting the recipe the way I tackled it.



Oatmeal Cookies
recipe adapted from  http://smittenkitchen.com
Group A 
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt

Group B
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
Group C
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Group D
2 1/2 cups Quaker instant oatmeal
White chocolate chips
Sea salt for sprinkling

1.) Preheat oven to 175 degrees C, line baking pan with baking sheet.
2.) Mix Group A and whisk, set aside
3.) Beat Group B until light and fluffy.  Scrape bowl and add Group C until incorporated
4.) Add Group A gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth.
5.) Add Group D and mix until well incorporated. 
6.) Spoon into the baking sheet.
7.) Sprinkle some sea salt on each cookie 
8.) Bake until cookies are brown, rotating halfway
9.) Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool
10.) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails