Monday, September 26, 2011

Pasta Carbonara

Pasta.  Bacon.  Cheese.  Eggs.  Black Pepper.  Done. Easy.  


Another easy comfort food for the Silvannas household.  I have to admit, I never order this when eating out.  I was never a fan of creamy pasta dishes until I tried making this. Maybe the ones I've tried never excited me.  Maybe the simplicity and the taste won me over this time.  It's really simple to make-- otherwise I won't make it.  


Some people toss the egg with the pasta away from direct heat.  I don't want to take the chance of eating raw egg.  Although, technically, the egg is "cooked" because the pasta is very hot but since the toddler is eating too, I'd rather tone my arms by whisking continuously for about three minutes than take the risk.  But don't let the thought of eating raw eggs scare you.  The egg is "cooked" either way-- away from direct heat or not.  No cream and oil are used, so must be okay right?  Whatever.  The pasta is creamy and flavorful and the freshly cracked pepper is amazing.  I added some more powdered parmesan cheese that's why the picture above (pasta on fork) looks like the pasta sauce isn't silky smooth. But it is, I promise.  

And what's a Silvannas meal without meat and veggies?  So presenting our plate for the night:  Pasta Carbonara, Fried Chicken and Sautéed Veggies.


Pasta Carbonara (serves 3 adults and 1 toddler):
  • Half pack pasta (spaghetti, fettuccine, your choice!)
  • 1 pack bacon
  • Minced garlic
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • Black pepper

  • Start cooking the pasta in salted, boiling water as per package directions.
  • Roughly chop the bacon, cook in a non-stick pan until a lot of fat has rendered and bacon is starting to brown but not yet crispy.  Set aside.  
  • Add the minced garlic to the bacon grease and cook in low heat until fragrant but not burnt and set aside. 
  • While pasta and bacon are cooking, whisk the eggs and a generous amount of parmesan in a bowl and set aside.    
  • When pasta is cooked, drain and immediately put back in the pan with bacon grease, bacon and garlic. Do not forget to set aside some pasta water.   
  • Toss to coat the pasta in grease.  Make sure the pasta is hot, then pour the beaten eggs and whisk continuously for about three minutes or until the eggs cook and thicken.  It will create a silky sauce over the noodles.  Do not stop whisking or the eggs will scramble. 
  • Use the pasta water if you need to thin out the sauce.
  • Serve immediately with freshly cracked black pepper. 
Oh by the way, we had some leftovers and I reheated it for lunch the following day.  It was still good, if not better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails